Back

Mold Making You Sick? Exposure & Symptoms

Mold is one word that can send property owners into a panic, especially in summer of record-high temperatures and humidity. But what really is the dreaded intruder, and could it be the blame for those unexpected summer illnesses?

Mold growth speeds up when it’s indoors. Mold’s tiny reproductive cells, called spores, are easily released into the air, and an enclosed space amplifies their ability to make contact with one another.

There are hundreds of species of mold. Some of those species are less dangerous, like penicillin, which has antibacterial properties and is used in antibiotic medication. But others could make you sick.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF MOLD SICKNESS?

Exposure to mold can cause allergy symptoms, such as:

  • Wheezing/shortness of breath
  • Rash
  • Watery eyes
  • Runny nose
  • Itchy eyes
  • Coughing
  • Redness of the eyes
  • Long standing or frequent sinusitis

And, serious pain and neurological symptoms, such as:

  • Headaches and migraines
  • Joint pain
  • Muscle cramping, aches, and pains
  • Persistent nerve pain
  • Numbness, tingling or tremors
  • Vertigo/Dizziness
  • Frequent colds and flu
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Poor memory, brain fog, difficulty with focus

In some cases, the spores from mold take root and grow in specific parts of the body, such as the lungs and sinuses. This can cause serious respiratory illnesses and infections.

HOW LONG DO MOLD SYMPTOMS LAST?

The tricky thing about mold exposure is that it’s different for each person. The amount of time mold exposure symptoms persist depends on:

  • What type of mold they are exposed to?
  • How long the exposure has been?
  • How well their bodies eliminate toxins

Those who process toxins well can see their symptoms disappear as quickly as a few days. Others who eliminate toxins slowly can experience symptoms for much longer. They could be ill for months or even years after the source of mold is eliminated.

Duration of exposure

Similarly, the duration of the one-time mold exposure matters. After all, the longer you’re exposed to mold, the more spores you will inhale. This increases your overall exposure.

If exposure only lasts a few seconds or minutes, you may not have symptoms. But if you’re exposed to mold for a long time, your symptoms might develop rapidly. Again, it comes down to your level of sensitivity.

Proximity to mold

It also depends on how close you are to the mold. That’s because proximity affects how much mold you’re exposed to. For example, you’re more likely to develop symptoms quickly if you directly handle mold. This can happen during activities like cleaning or touching moldy items.

If you’re allergic or sensitive to mold, it’s important to avoid direct contact with mold as much as possible.

Protect your health and property from Mold!

Mold contamination is a growing concern for home and businesses owners of all sizes. Mold, a fungus found in damp places, can grow almost anywhere moist conditions exist. Therefore, it is crucial to call Precision Environmental to handle mold-related issues in today's litigious environment. Our team of specialists is certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and is trained to use the latest techniques to eliminate harmful microbiological contamination properly.

Mold Inspection

Our commercial restoration experts have encountered countless mold contamination problems over the last 40 years of being in business and are fully equipped to assist you with the removal. We use advanced tools and processes that ensure the problem is eradicated.

Mold Making You Sick? Exposure & Symptoms
Back to Main

Get Help Now,
24/7 Emergency Response!

Call Us 800-375-7786