Thanksgiving is a time for family, friends, and feasts. This may mean spending more time in the kitchen than usual. Cooking is the leading cause of home fires at any time of the year, but it is widespread on Thanksgiving. The average number of home fires in residential buildings on this day is often double the number of home fires throughout the rest of the year.
Keeping fire safety top of mind during this joyous time is essential. Therefore, as you prepare for that large family feast, remember that following a few simple fire safety tips can keep everyone safe from the risk of a structural fire.
Six Thanksgiving Fire Safety Tips:
- Never leave the stove or oven unattended while cooking.
- Keep children away from stovetops, open fires, matches, and candles.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
- If a fire does happen, have a fire extinguisher accessible, especially in the kitchen.
- Keep a pan lid nearby. Use it to cover the pan if it catches on fire. This will put out the fire.
- Use the fryer outdoors on a flat surface, safely away from wooden decks, and structures.
Fire Damage Process Includes:
- Identifying the source to determine the type of fire that occurred.
- Evaluating the areas that are wet because of firefighting that may need treatment.
- Water Mitigation Service (if applicable).
- Evaluating sensitive materials that may be damaged because of smoke and soot particles.
- Removing Contents including the collection items you may need for the next coming of days, such as clothing, prescriptions, schoolbooks, business needs.
- Packing out remaining contents for cleaning and storage.
- Performing structural restoration, including removal of charred contents that may seal in smoke particles, such as insulation and burned wood.
- Assessing carpets and floor coverings, which may need to be removed.
- Safety Inspection of the framing of the house and subfloors.
- Removing smoke odors of the affected surfaces.
- Cleaning, eliminating odors, and deodorizing surfaces to pre-loss condition.
- Returning items to the original location, and making your house feel like home again.
7 Fires That Will Affect Your Property
Though all fires can be devastating for your home or commercial building, not all are the same. Each type of fire can result in different kinds of damage, which will require a different kind of solution.
- Cooking-Related Fires
- Heating Appliances
- Electrical Fires
- Chemical Fires
- Holiday Decorations